General Information about Gondal
Gondal, a fortified town is located on the River Gondali was the capital of the former princely state of Gondal and was ruled by the Jadeja Rajput clan, who ruled the princely states of Kutch, Jamnagar, Rajkot and Gondal for more than 300 years. But in the late 19th century and early 20th century the present state of Gondal saw various developments under the rule of Maharaja Bhagwat Singhji.
Maharaja Bhagwat Singhji introduced various social reforms and planned the development of the Gondal town. Due to his reforms, the town of Gondal grow into one of the most progressive princely states in the region with an efficient system of roads, railways, schools, hospitals, highways, sanitary drainage, irrigation and free compulsory education.
How to reach Gondal
The nearest airport is located at Rajkot which is about 39 kms.
There is a railway station at Gondal which is located on the Rajkot – Veraval line.
Gondal is located about 39 kms. from Rajkot and 264 kms. from Ahmedabad.
Tourist Attractions in Gondal
The Riverside Palace was built in 1875 AD by Maharaja Bhagwat Sinhji for his son Yuvraj Bhojraji. The palace is set in lawns and gardens beside the river Gondal. There are various sitting arrangements which are furnished in typical colonial style with antique wooden furniture and many pleasant sit-outs are also located on the terraces and galleries overlooking either the river or the garden.
The Orchard Palace is located in a huge complex of fruit orchards, lawns and gardens. This palace is a wing of the Huzoor Palace, where the ruling family of Gondal entertained guests. The ‘room of miniatures’ is a splendid sitting room with a collection of miniature paintings, brass and antique furniture.
The Royal Garages have an extensive collection of vintage and classic cars from 1910 to 1955, limousine and sports cars from 1950 and 1960, American cars from 1940 and 1950, and a fleet of four-wheel drive vehicles from the World War II and post-war period. Most of these cars are restored and some bear the original Gondal State number plates.
Naulakha Darbargadh Palace was built during the 17th century is one of the oldest and the most beautiful palace in Gondal. This palace is situated on the banks of the river on a grand masonry base, rising about 30 meter above the river bed and was built in about nine lakhs and thus named so. The palace is approached by the high gateway with the clock tower from the town side.
The entrance leads to a huge open space with administrative blocks on the right and a grand staircase on the extreme left corner leading to the intricately carved pavilions on the open terrace. There are stone carvings with exquisite balconies, fabulous pillared courtyard, delicately carved arches, and a unique spiral staircase in the palace.
The grand Darbar Hall has series of huge windows which open into long balcony supported by intricately carved brackets. The Darbar Hall has large chandeliers, stuffed panthers, wooden furniture and antique Belgian mirrors. The private palace museum displays artifacts and gifts received by Maharaja Bhagwat Sinhji as a ruler of Gondal, on his 50th birthday and various other relics.